Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?

Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?

http://www.ted.com As we expect more from technology, do we expect less from each other? Sherry Turkle studies how our devices and online personas are redefi…

3,246

Comments

mindhaze says:

I just heard snippets of this on NPR. I can’t wait to hear the whole thing!

Technology is a beautiful thing, but we can’t personally evolve as quickly
as it falls in our laps. I love you people and I think social awareness of
the downside technology brings to the table should be a very strong and
conversed topic within everyones social discourse.

Demarcus Jackson says:

This is a great presentation +TED I am going to show it to my social
psychology class. We are talking about The Self tonight.

Linette Low says:

Part Deux of Rethinking Connections:

“Solitude is when we find ourselves, so that we can reach out to REAL
PEOPLE, and FORM CONNECTIONS.” ~ Sherry Turkle,@TedTalks

I hope you enjoy the insight 🙂 #happy14

Radhika Makadia says:

Brilliant.

ObserverORhythem says:

Hehe…aren’t we plug into Matrix already?

Nicole S says:

Connected, but alone? Interesting look at social media #socialnetworking

Steven Parker says:

“Reconsider how we use our devices in a more self aware sense. Make room
for solitude and sacred spaces reclaimed for conversation without the
devices. Talk about the things that matter, listen to each other, including
the boring bits, it’s about human connection, our values and
direction…recognize our vulnerability” to unwitting influence.

Peggy O'Neill-Jones says:

Sherry Turkle studies how technology is shaping our modern relationships:
with others, with ourselves, with it.

The feeling that ‘no one is listening to me’ make us want to spend time
with machines that seem to care about us.” – Sherry Trukle

Ronald Robertson says:

Thanks Sherry. Amazing

videonasty123 says:

one of the best things on the internet. Absolutely fascinating.

Atul Kulkarni says:

Learn to be happy alone. If we do not enjoy our own company, why inflict it
on others ! – by Swami Chinmayananda.

Carl Setterdahl says:

Session 5
Today’s topic is a TED talk given by Sherrys Turkle. She raises many
questions like, is our technology crippling our communication? Where is
this taking us?
She appears to be motivated by some kind of fear of the future, as she
mentions the patient who seeks comfort from a robot, you can tell that,
rather then being really interested in this rare, or even unique relation,
she sees it as problem. Is it really? Isn’t this is a great step forward?
What we have created is, on scientific point of view, very impressive.
She fears that we only rely on technologies to communicate, and that this
would make us loose are social capabilities. Are we really communicating
less, because every one carries the technological equivalence of the Appolo
space shuttle in their pockets?
As for her methods, I believe that they are very questionable; it is of
course impossible to make a survey that would be accurate. But in this
case, there is no mention of any kind of survey. She keeps referring to
anecdotes or isolated cases; can you really pretend study social sciences
when you base your results on anecdotes?

Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?

ladyofshalott says:

Clearly this woman hasn’t heard of Skype or the fact that you can video
call someone online. I mean, I can see not wanting to only communicate
through texts… but I think my online friendships are pretty real. Sounds
like she doesn’t have good online friends.

Gemmas Circle says:

Brilliant talk by Sherry Turkle that discusses the down side of
technology.

Joni Siani says:

We know this is a problem. The book Celling Your Soul: No App For Life is
now taking the next step to providing solutions, especially for those who
were socialized digitally. Here’s the secret reveal….they HATE IT! And,
they’re looking for an alternative to the 24/7 non-stop connectivity. They
really want a way out, and so that’s what I did with this book…offered a
real plan to move towards a solutions. Hope you check it out…and are
ready to move to the action plan. Thanks!

Gary Harris says:

Please watch this. It really rocked my soul. Seriously.

Richard Holder says:

Tallies precisely with my views – sadly :-)

Yesong Sim says:

Oh, don’t forget to watch this informative TEDtalk by Sherry Turkle ^_~

Shockerz Lee says:

I can see that this is happening all over the place and worse of all I’m
one of them.

Andrew Carpenter says:

“WE EXPECT MORE FROM TECHNOLOGY AND LESS FROM EACH OTHER.” Tech is more
trustworthy and predictable than humans. But are humans now an undervalued
resource?

Phillip Tyson says:

A profound TED talk about the alarmingly rapid increase in our collective
psychological desire to switch from a world filled with actual human
relationships, into one filled with customised, curated, manageable
‘connections’. We are increasingly using technology to give ourselves a
sense of companionship, without the demands of friendship.
I’ve often lamented the rise of this trend, but simultaneously find myself
falling victim to it. This video makes for an interesting commentary on the
underlying forces that drive us further into a world in which we will all
find ourselves alone together.

Gregorio Drayer says:

Thought provoking!! Let’s think again how we make use of Facebook, Google+
and other “social networks,” and what ways we have to cultivate more
genuine friendships.

Robert Sung says:

Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?

Christian Offner says:

If you have 20 minutes to spare, close all tabs and windows, put away your
smartphone and listen to this TED Talk by Sherry Turkle titled *Connected,
but alone?*
I feel like this is very much an important and profound topic that
everybody in our digital generation should reflect on.

+Markus Günther Ich weiß nicht, ob Du diesen Vortrag bereits gesehen hast –
darin werden exakt die Phänomene erörtert, die Du bei unserem letzten
Gespräch so treffend beklagt hast.

Rachel Wente-Chaney says:

(Yes, go ahead and note the irony. I’m posting this late on a Saturday
night, from home, not out at the pub with friends. And no wisecracks about
the mentions of control issues, +Corin Richards.)

*”…one of the most wrenching, complicated moments in my fifteen years of
work.”*

I’ve listened to this talk twice today. I wanted to disagree at first. I
was picking apart Turkle’s points, especially those around the *capacity
for solitude*, which I think is an individual trait. And I bristle a bit
each time someone tries to anthropomorphize technology: “Technology says it
will take something complicated, and promises something simpler.”
(Technology says nothing. People say things.)

*”…it’s when we stumble, or hesitate, or lose our words that we reveal
ourselves to each other.”*

I have a habit of resetting contemporary arguments to the 1950s, the 1850s,
and the 1550s as a check to see if they are truly contemporary. Is a fear
about the impact of some current technology really an ages-old frustration
with flawed human communication?

Have some people always needed to put on a persona before going out in the
real world, even when the real world did not include IM and social media?
Clothes and makeup have been around for a long time. International affairs
and diplomacy, throughout most of history, were conducted as much by
letters and proxies than by more modern face-to-face meetings and summits.
On a smaller relationship/identity scale…even family photo albums and
reunions are somewhat contrived. Is what we do now online so different?

*”Have we so lost confidence that we will be there for each other?”*

Haven’t some people always wanted, maybe even needed, constant reassurance
and connection? Haven’t those same people been disappointed before? Haven’t
they found other means of connection? Has IM/SM increased that dependency?
She seems to say yes.

Turkle raises many good points and weaves through them the eternal
lonely/alone conundrum. She ends with common sense — communication ideas we
should all be doing regardless of the latest variety of distraction. And
leaves me with questions tumbling through my brain.

*Profound questions*, indeed.

I have only one answer…. This is a talk that could be woven into some
singularity awesomeness. Isn’t it, +Darren Hudgins , +Jeremy Macdonald? 🙂

cc +Leslie Golden , +Michael Witnauer

Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?

Dan Verständig says:

How much do we rely on technologies? Really great and enlightening talk by
Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?

Oliver Damian says:

The case for solitude and conversations in a social network technology
world.

Andrew DeFaria says:

Just watch this video in its entirety and tell me if it doesn’t make you
think that you should quit Facebook and Google+ and go and meat your
friends in person for a drink and some quality face time before it’s too
late.

Ivana Ooi says:

The ironic trurth!!!

Daniel Lee says:

I’ve already tweeted this about a hundred times and sent it out as a text,
but for those of you who only get it this way, another cool video.

No, but seriously – I talk about this stuff a lot, but it’s nice to see
somebody else say it better than I can.

Leon Gunning says:

Connected…but alone

Nicholas Lezrine says:

Brilliant, brilliant woman…

“As we expect more from technology, do we expect less from each other?
Sherry Turkle studies how our devices and online personas are redefining
human connection and communication — and asks us to think deeply about the
new kinds of connection we want to have.”

Kazys Motekaitis says:

Sociotechnology evolved.

Behshad Memari says:

“Machines that seem to care about us” “putting on a great show” to fake a
sense of control & empathy for us. “I share therefore I am”.

Wei Wang says:

appreciate solitude

Gina Drayer says:

Good TED Talk about using social media and being connected:

*Human relationships are rich and they’re messy and they’re demanding. And
we clean them up with technology. And when we do, one of the things that
can happen is that we sacrifice conversation for mere connection.* *We
short-change ourselves.* *And over time, we seem to forget this, or we seem
to stop caring.*