Nicholas Christakis: The hidden influence of social networks

Nicholas Christakis: The hidden influence of social networks

http://www.ted.com We’re all embedded in vast social networks of friends, family, co-workers and more. Nicholas Christakis tracks how a wide variety of trait…

1,078

Comments

Young Collyer says:

“We’re all embedded in vast social networks of friends, family, co-workers
and more. Nicholas Christakis tracks how a wide variety of traits — from
happiness to obesity — can spread from person to person, showing how your
location in the network might impact your life in ways you don’t even know.”

Dr. Nicholas Christakis talks about “The hidden influence of social
networks”

Let’s think about how Social Network influence our daily life. How do you
think Social Network influence us? What is your experience?
#SocialNetwork

Dave Clarke says:

Worth a watch

Judith Obatusa says:

Another link from Coursera that has nourished my knowledge base.

Happiness is a Choice (The Sunbringer Project) says:

*Welcome back to Our Gratitude Journal* ! (01202014)
Here why I’m grateful today (read below)…

We always talk about how Emotions spread in the offline World.
How about our online Word?
In this great video from +TED you’ll learn how our online attitudes and
emotions spread to the World.

Another reason to share and spread #gratitude , do you agree? 😉

In the meantime, here why I’m grateful today:

– New Sunbringers added our Group:
+Carolina Moon
+Win Fern
+Jonathan Malkin
+Jason Gaudette

– A difficult teen I take care of showed more flexibility
– No rain for today
– Nice news in the online professional fields!
– Lots of new projects in the horizon
– A great weekend with my girlfriend

And you?
What are you grateful for?

=================================================================

*Tips to share Gratitude* :

1) write it at the end of the day: you’ll find more things to be grateful of

2) even the most little things count: it’s not about what you share, it’s
about that you share

3) if you don’t feel grateful today…fake it: our attitudes influences our
behavior, our behavior influences our attitudes

4) if you feel you’re not able even to fake it, then simply comment others
gratefulness thoughts

=================================================================

#gratitudejournal #gratitude365 #emotions #socialnetworks #ivanpsy

Stewart Denenberg says:

Too True.

Peter de Kock says:
Viktor Maximilian Distaturus Freiherr says:

13:28
Nicholas Christakis PLEASE clarify this: this could mean so much that it
starts to mean nothing again.

To make this clear: this is everything else than clear:
13:28 ‘explained by our genes’

1.)genes don’t explain we explain by genes.
2.) 3 INTERPRETATIONS of the sentence at

A) The behaviour of how I & people whith my set of genes network
(transitivity, number, centrality) has a variation. [3 variables which vary
in the populatoin of my gene set]

B) I & people whith my set of genes network ((transitivity, number,
centrality)
over the course of their live with a variation in these behaiours.
[3 variables which vary over the lifetime]

C) with around 50% accuracy of all variation cases it is possible to link
networking behaviour to the set of genes.

3.) a) PREMISE & b) FINDINGS are very hard to understand.

a) the variation has a finite set: this is the 100%
[A) normal distribution:some gene sets vary in +/-4friends, some in
+/-10-25friends]
[B) normal distribution:gene sets lifetime behaviour varies in +/-4 friends]
[C) too lazy……

b) around 50% of this variation is determined by my genes.
[A) my gene set explains, half the number of my firends if i have a +/- 4
friends variation over my lifetime, so looking at my genes says: +/-2
friends is certain??]
[B) tooo lazy…. please clarify this….

This means:
A) 1) You should be able to observe an ‘around 50% difference’ in variation
of these 3 numbers in every population which has a certain set of genes.
[some have 4 some 6 friends some 2]
2) You should be able to observe a clearly solid core of this variable
numbers………

PLEASE clarify this: this could mean so much that it starts zo mean nothing
again.

ytinformes2 says:
Rami Kantari says:
Lukas Valatka says:

Visgi posakis aplinka kalta – ne iš piršto laužtas.
Kokią įtaką mums turi draugai, draugų draugai ir draugų draugų draugai?

Christopher Buckley says:

Want to impact an audience? Ask who influences THEIR influencers. << Implications for education, PR and even faith communities!

Tony R says:

Interesting topic on social networking.

Brian Simpson says:

Nicholas Christakis : The Hidden Influence of Social Networks…
AlbaIM Social Network…

elisabetta forte says:

Il lato oscuro dei social network….
#socialnetworks +TED

AlbaIM Social Network says:

Nicholas Christakis : The Hidden Influence of Social Networks…
AlbaIM Social Network…

Alexander Rinehart says:
SHiFT says:

Nicholas Christakis shows that we are all Connected in regards to physical
and psychological health.

Duarte Velez Grilo says:

Nicholas Christakis shows that we are all Connected in regards to physical
and psychological health.

William Duque Trujillo says:

Nicholas Christakis: The hidden influence of social networks

Jeff Alstott says:
chuckinator13 says:

@Ikar1 It’s also natural for us to try to kill each other too. Try smiling.
then you won’t get bits of bone and brain on you…..

Nelson Smith says:

Lets all hug and sing kumbayah.

LordSplendid says:

Bowling alone…

MaxSafeheaD says:

Great talk except for the conclusion. Networks are definately extremely
powerful but it should be obvious they are a mixed blessing.

GlobalEd33 says:

When individuals, political bodies, corporate entities, and society itself
starts correcting & tending 2 the interpersonal network instead of being at
the mercy of it, we’ll finally tend to current affairs properly. Generally,
we’re insensitive to anything we can’t link to personal benefit, societal
values don’t require more of us, so here we sit in the meantime, getting
our asses handed to us. Were we to wise up & unite more, we wouldn’t be in
this mess staking our lives on political salvation

AnotherCuppaCoffee says:

When younger I had a lot more friends, in clusters of 4-6, with the cluster
not known to each other. The one consistent behavior is my avoiding
depressing or somber people. I am cheerful, and energetic or very relaxed,
when alone (most of my time). I prefer the same when I’m with others. Yet I
have always been there to listen to depressed people. I just don’t consider
them friends, rather to me they are needy neighbors deserving of some
kindness.They tend to be self-absorbed.

Jordan H says:

@Truthiness231 If you are around more fat people you are more likely to
pick up their habits. If you are around fit people you will pick up those
peoples habits.

harleynanda says:

(2/2 cont’d) …some of the benefits and ‘acceptance behaviors’ (bird of a
feather flock together), but implies that the shortcomings supersede human
choice, appearing in some cases to assign group behavior strictly to
genetic, causal factors. Although we are a social species, we direct our
actions by our individual choices. (Pardon this reiterative and delayed
posting. YT initially indicated that it didn’t post. Also, the above typo
should read ‘commodity’.)

roidroid says:

@robotpanda77 depends what kinda friends they are

Javier Rincón says:

great conclusions, I thought it was going to be some bs talk about social
networks on the internet, but was very surprised. good stuff

Hajrë Hyseni says:

That’s brilliant approach ti

gnitleinad says:

The guy who’s resting his chin on his hand at :47…isn’t that Steven
Levitt who wrote Freakonomics?

Crapulency says:

he was how old before he realised the interconnectess of things? oh dear

bavwill says:

@bavwill He’s right though in one sense about getting connected. It creates
more options, helps to expand people’s awareness of things and softens some
people’s fear of different lifestyles.

sk8rdman says:

14:50 Leave it to a nerd to use the molecular structure of minerals as an
analogy for how the structure of social networking effects the properties
of social groups. DFTBA

Tsumaru000 says:

@liberationn15 Hence why he mentioned the three ways it could be
interpreted, with only one (induction) implying causation. He followed this
up by saying there was evidence of each at play, although he didn’t go into
details. People trying to be smart overplay the “Correlation does not imply
causation” card to the point where they seem to believe correlation never
coincides with causality, which is clearly far from the truth. Don’t fall
into that trap.

Stephan Schuler says:

isn’t being shy a result of education and influences from outside rather
than a result of genes? is it really as obvious as he claims?

armenianweirdo says:

@staindstreams I guess I should have said anxiety instead of paranoia. Alan
Watts definitely questions what I’ve been told though. He gives us
“Westerners” an easy to understand version of Eastern philosophy if you’re
interested. Sorry if I sounded negative before.

Nonalola says: